Straight Razor Honing ServicE
***50% of Honing Service Fees will be donated to charity. Click here to see who we're supporting!***
Does your Straight Razor need some TLC? Bring your razor to Portland Shave Shop, or mail your razor to us and have it honed by a Portland Razor Co. bladesmith.
WHAT CAN BE HONED:
- If there is any doubt as to the quality or honability of your straight razor, please email us and include images of the straight razor before purchasing a Honing Service.
- We can sharpen/hone any straight razor in good condition and made by a reputable manufacturer.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Your razor will be thoroughly inspected for straightness, evenness of the grind, and wear & tear. If it has any harmful surface rust, we will oil it and buff out the rust before honing; rust which has caused deep pitting cannot be removed and can negatively affect the razor's performance.
- Edges with uneven wear, dings or chips may require some reshaping and we will do our best to remove the minimum amount of material required to restore the edge.
- We will tighten the hinge pin upon request.
- Your straight razor will be honed up to a 12K grit Naniwa Superstone and stropped gently on chromium oxide paste.
- Once it passes the Hanging Hair Test, it will be sanitized and oiled with Ballistol before packing for return shipping.
COST & TURN AROUND:
Straight Razor Honing is $20
Inspections to determine whether or not your straight razor can be serviced are free.
When straight razors are ready for pick-up we will notify you by phone or email. Service will be completed in 1-5 business days, usually next day turn around is possible upon request.