Straight Razor Honing ServicE
***50% of Honing Service Fees will be donated to charity. Click here to see who we're supporting!***
Does your Straight Razor need some TLC? Bring your razor to Portland Shave Shop to have it honed or mail your razor to us and have it honed by a Portland Razor Co. bladesmith.
WHAT CAN BE HONED:
- We can sharpen/hone any straight razor in good condition and made by a reputable manufacturer.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Your razor will be thoroughly inspected for straightness, evenness of the grind, and wear & tear. If it has any harmful surface rust, we will oil it and buff out the rust before honing; rust which has caused deep pitting cannot be removed and can negatively affect the razor's performance.
- Edges with uneven wear, dings or chips may require some reshaping and we will do our best to remove the minimum amount of material required to restore the edge.
- We will tighten the hinge pin upon request.
- Your straight razor will be honed up to a 12K grit Naniwa Superstone and stropped gently on chromium oxide paste.
- Once it passes the Hanging Hair Test, it will be sanitized and oiled with Ballistol before packing for return shipping.
We do our best to research and match the honing practices of the original manufacturer! If your razor was originally honed without tape then we will hone it without tape. However, if there is gold plating etc or if there is no visible hone wear on the spine, we will hone with 1 piece of Super 88 electrical tape.
COST & TURN AROUND:
Inspections to determine whether or not your straight razor can be serviced are free.
When straight razors are ready for pick-up we will notify you by phone or email. Service will be completed in 1-5 business days, usually next day turn around is possible upon request.